Even though I’ve been a fan of juicing for years — and a regular customer at [RE]Fresh since they opened last summer — I’d never buckled down and tried a real cleanse.
As a nutrition and health writer, I’m thinking about food all the time, so not eating for 3 days felt pretty challenging. But my eating habits had been sliding since the new year, and I thought a cleanse might be just what I needed to get back on track.
I challenged myself to try the [RE]Fresher, which is 5 juices and 1 almond milk each day. Because my goal was to get rid of unhealthy cravings, I wanted a clean break from food for a couple days.
Day 1: Getting Into the Groove
Amazing how just planning to do something healthy gives you more energy, right? On the first day of my cleanse I got up 30 minutes early and eagerly went for my first juice of the day, Savoury Greens.
I planned out my juices to get the most variety possible, alternating Sweet or Savoury Greens with root-based juices (Eye Opener, Uproot) throughout the day. I saved Lemon Zing and Almond Milk for last, since I knew I’d be hungriest at dinner. Which was a good thing, because I was ravenous by the time the sun set, and I really needed the double dose of juice.
Knowing this was probably one of the harder parts of the cleanse, I challenged myself to some calming meditation. My goal for this cleanse was to increase awareness of my body so I would not succumb to cravings, so a little meditation could do nothing but help.
I found this video which offered enough guidance for my (very) short attention span, and helped me get a good night’s sleep.
Day 2: Finding Inner Balance
I’ll be honest, this was the toughest part of the cleanse. I woke up hungry and forced myself to work through stomach pangs that hung around through lunch. My temptation to “cheat” and grab a meal hit its peak around lunchtime, when I got a headache from the hunger. I decided to drink some hot water with lemon and a slice of fresh ginger, and drank my Almond Milk early to push through.
By this evening, I was feeling a lot better. After coming in from a walk, I grabbed an Eye Opener and sipped quietly, letting the ginger warm me from the inside out. Since meals are usually something I fit in between work and errands, it was nice to take a moment and think about what I was putting in my body.
Tonight, I decided to go for a longer meditation practice using this video.
Day 3: Hitting my Stride
So, this was the day I officially got “addicted” to cleansing. I woke up early with lots of energy, and never felt weighed down with hunger pangs or my typical midday energy drain. I also often get headaches mid-afternoon, especially if I start work before 6 AM, but that didn’t happen today. I found myself looking forward to my next juice because I knew it would taste great, but not driven by hunger or discomfort. I also notice a difference in my skin — it’s brighter, smoother and seems to have more of a natural glow.
This evening, I sipped my last Lemon Zing and Almond Milk of the cleanse and reflected on my progress. Most of all, I was thinking “huh, I could totally do 3 more days of this.”
My Cleansing Results
Over the last 3 days, I’ve noticed some big changes in my energy and cravings, and I feel like the cleanse helped me meet my goal of getting my diet back on track.
Here’s what I noticed:
– I’m craving veggies non-stop: Each day on the cleanse has 25+ pounds of produce in it, and I find myself wanting to add vegetables to EVERYTHING. Since finishing the cleanse I’ve been drinking tons of green smoothies and trying to get a balance of 70% greens/30% fruit in each one
– I’m more clued into my hunger cues: Because I’m tempted to load up every meal with veggies, I don’t find myself craving snacks between meals that I know I don’t really need. I’m also not craving junk food.
– I have more energy: Taking a few minutes at the end of each day to unwind not only helped me power through tough parts of the cleanse, it improved my sleep quality. I find myself waking up with more energy and getting to sleep more easily.
– I look healthier: The combo of loads of nutrition, lots of water and better sleep has been really great for my skin. I look happier, more alert and energized — because I am!
Overall, I’m really happy with my results. I only wish I had ordered a 5-day cleanse to see what results I’d see — I’ll have to try that this fall!
Sylvie Tremblay is a freelance writer based in Guelph, Ontario. She specializes in copywriting, journalism and blogging about food, nutrition, natural health and wellness.
Trackbacks and pingbacks
No trackback or pingback available for this article.
Juice Cleansing Information
Cleansing with juices can be a daunting adventure. Learn more about why you should cleanse.
We bring health right to your door. Check out our delivery map to see if you are within our doorstep delivery area.find out more!
Get In Touch With Us
Have a question about our juices? We'd be happy to answer any questions you may have!
- “Working full time and commuting doesn’t always provide the opportunity to get all the vitamins and minerals I need. Refresh juice has become a convenient and excellent nutritional addition to my diet. The juices are delicious, amazing combinations of fruits, vegetables, and greens that provide an explosion of fresh taste. They leave you feeling energized […]
- "I tried the 3 day juice cleanse and was very pleased with the service. Whitney was happy to answer all of my questions and provide lots of options to accommodate my time and budget restrictions. The juice was made fresh just before being delivered right to my door step for free. Most importantly, the juice […]
- I was very skeptical at first when my wife told me about the juice cleanse.But after I started I was so impressed with how easy it was to follow andalso how much energy I had every day!
- I was absolutely amazed how great I felt after only a couple of days ofdoing the juice cleanse! I could actually feel the toxicity leave my body.Thank you for suggesting the cleanse. It really helped me recover from thedebauchery of the summer!
- I have my own juicer, but enjoy the convenience and great taste of Refresh juices. I love that the juices are organic, and provide healthy nourishment. I have tried all the different juices and almond mylk, and thoroughly enjoy them all. I drink them weekly and feel refreshed and fuelled.